Frequently Asked Questions about Canadian Student Visa

1. How can I get a Study Permit for Canada?
International Students must apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for a Study Permit once they have received an approval letter from a qualified Canadian educational institution. Students must show that they have enough funds to survive and study in Canada, undertake Medical Examinations and provide Police Clearance Certificates in order to enter Canada as a student.

2. When should I apply for my study permit?
You must apply the moment you receive your letter of acceptance from the educational institution. The time needed to process an request to study in Canada may be different at various visa offices.

3. How long is my Study Permit legal for?
A Study Permit is valid for the period of your study program. If you want to expand the validity of your Study Permit, you have to file an application to change the conditions or extend your stay in Canada with CIC.

4. Can I do job while studying in Canada?
Yes, but with certain conditions. International Students holding a legal Study Permit might work on the campus of their educational institution devoid of a Work Permit. Though, with the intention of working off the campus, they have to apply to CIC for an Off-Campus Work Permit.

5. What is an Off-Campus Work Permit of Canada?
An Off-Campus Work Permit let International Students to be working off the campus of the educational institution they are attending in Canada.

6. Who is qualified for an Off-Campus Work Permit?
International Students with applicable Study Permits who are registered in a contributing educational institution are eligible for Off-Campus Work Permits, if they are in good educational standing at that institution. On top, students must have been studying around the clock for six months out of the year preceding their application for an Off-Campus Work Permit.

7. How do I know if my institution is contributing in the program?
A list of participating institutions can be located at the CIC website, at the following link:

8. What is acceptable educational standing?
Satisfactory Academic Standing is determined in a different way by each academic institution. Students must confirm that they meet the requirements for satisfactory academic standing at the institution they are presently studying at.

9. Who is not entitled for an Off-Campus Work Permit?
International Students who are receiving reward or scholarships from Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade or from the Canadian International Development Agency are not qualified for an Off-Campus Work Permit. Students participating in the Canada-China Scholars Exchanges Program, in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program Exchange or in the Equal Opportunity Scholarship Program, Canada-Chile may not submit an application for an Off-Campus Work Permit. Visiting students are also not entitled, in addition to students who are registered in English or French as a Foreign Language programs, even if they are registered in participating institutions.


Michael said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael said...

If you are Canadian, but you will not be attending a college or university in Canada, you will be considered an International Student, and you need to know about student loans for international Canadian students. You will also be joining an estimated 30,000 other Canadians who are studying outside of Canada, with the biggest majority of those studying in the United States...

Anonymous said...

I am an indian citizen and I have applied for permanent residency for Canada.But I got rejection.
Now I want to apply for canadian student visa.
So is there negative effect of earlier rejection on my student visa?

Post a Comment