The occupation of 0311 Managers in Health Care comes under the category of 031 Managers in Health, Education, Social and Community Services. This is Middle and other level Management Occupation. This is one of the 38 professions required for Canadian Immigration.
This unit group includes managers who plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the delivery of health care services, such as diagnosis and treatment, nursing and therapy, within institutions that provide health care services. They are employed in hospitals, medical clinics, nursing homes and other health care establishments.
Example Titles of 0311 Managers in Health Care:
- Chief of Anesthesia
- Chief of Emergency Medicine
- Chief of Medical Staff
- Director of Clinical Medicine
- Director of Dietetics
- Director of Laboratory Medicine
- Director of Nursing – medical services
- Director of occupational therapy
- Director of physiotherapy
- Director of surgery
- Director, home care services
- Director, rehabilitation services
- Medical clinic director
- Mental health residential care program manager
Main duties of 0311 Managers in Health Care:
Managers in health care perform some or all of the following duties:
1. Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the delivery of healthcare services within a department or organization.
2. Consult with boards of directors and senior managers to maintain and set standards for the provision of health care services.
3. Develop evaluation systems to monitor the excellence of health care given to patients.
Monitor the use of diagnostic services, in-patient beds and facilities to make certain effective use of resources.
4. Develop and implement plans for new programs, special projects, new material and utensils acquisitions and future staffing levels in their department or establishment.
5. Plan and control departmental or organizational budget.
6. Represent the department or organization at meetings with government officials, the public, the media and other organizations.
7. Oversee health care supervisors and professionals.
8. Recruit health care staff of the department or organization.
9. Managers in health care specialize in administering the provision of specific health care services such as dietetics, clinical medicine, laboratory medicine, nursing, physiotherapy or surgery.
Employment requirements of 0311 Managers in Health Care:
1. Administrators of departments such as surgery, clinical medicine or laboratory medicine are generally required to have the education and training of a specialist physician.
2. Administrators of other departments, such as nursing, dietetics or physiotherapy, are generally required to have the education and training of the medical professionals in that department.
3. Several years of experience in the relevant profession, including supervisory experience, are generally required.
4. Certification in the relevant profession is requisite.
Additional information for 0311 Managers in Health Care:
1. There is little or no mobility between departments in different medical specializations.
2. Progression to senior management positions in health care services is possible with experience.