TOEFL for Canada Immigration

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is an Internationally recognized English testing system - but not an acceptable test for Canadian Immigration. In addition to IELTS, the only authorized and acceptable test for Canadian Immigration is CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program).

For Canadian Immigration, you have to provide evidence of language proficiency by taking a language test from an organization designated by CIC (IELTS and CELPIP). With your test results, you will be able to see accurately how many points you will obtain for the language selection factor of Canadian Immigration.

While applying for Canadian Immigration, never go for TOEFL as it is not acceptable by CIC for Immigration purpose. Although you may use TOEFL for getting admission in a Canadian university because lots of Canadian Universities recognizes and accepts TOEFL.

So, while applying for immigration, make arrangements for testing by a CIC-designated agency (IELTS and CELPIP). The test results will be used by CIC as decisive proof of your English and French language proficiency. Your IELTS result will be valid for two years.

Please note that incorporate the results of your test in your Canadian immigration application. You immigration application will not processed if you do not include your English test results.

In addition, it is not requisite to send your English test results directly to the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) from the testing agency. Instead, you have to submit your original TRF or test result with your complete immigration package.

You can use the equivalency charts to see accurately how many points you will earn based on your test results. The following page will provide you with the equivalency chart for IELTS

Note: IELTS and CELPIP have two options for the reading and writing tests: “General” and “Academic.” You must take the “General” option for Canadian Immigration purpose



Nina said...

I have a good score in toefl. Is there any possibility that they accept my immigration application?

Comrade said...

Dear Nina,
It is clearly mentioned by CIC that they only accept two english tests for the purpose of immigration i.e. IELTS and CELPIP

aainaasaz said...

I got 6 band in IELTS can I apply for canada for work

Sanjli said...

So it is clear to me that i have to go for IELTS for Canadian Immigration instead of TOEFL

Anonymous said...

Even for a study permit is TOEFL not accepted?? I would be joining University of Ottawa in september and wanna know if ielts is necessary for student visa also?

Mila Vrdoljak said...

I studied at Canadian university for one year (on a full scholarship - exhange program). Have a trascript proving that I successfully passed over 4 courses, all 6 credit ones. Since I was an exchange student it doesn't say that I completed a program per se, instead says that "I successfully passed and may continue my studings"... Why is it that CIC is not accepting this transcript as sufficient proof of my language capabilities? I have passed more than one course, and it was an exchange program at the Faculty of Arts at one of the most recognized Torontonian universities. I even have dean's letter acknowledging acceptance to this program. In addition to this, I passed TOEFL just to get accepted to university. It seems that Government is interested in making money by sticking blindly to admnistrative side instead of making process more efficient and embrace it's rational side.

Post a Comment